Plan for Success
20 Step Process For A Successful Large Tree Transplanting
- Use Template to layout dig area, and then dig sides.
- Assemble The Box with cutting blade and lift assembly.
- Dig holes for box, cables and hydraulic pulling system.
- Position box and pulling system in holes.
- Connect cables, hydraulics then pull box under tree.
- Remove cutting blade, then add and bolt the four sides.
- Mud-in voids between the box sides and tree roots with water, soil and soil additives.
- Bolt on lifting assembly.
- Lift, lay-down and tie tree for transporting.
- Load tree for transporting.
- Secure and tarp tree for transport.
- On arrival remove tarp and untie tree.
- Unload tree to staging area.
- Right the tree and re-cable for lifting.
- Crane tree into place in the planting pit.
- Remove bolts attaching sides to bottom.
- Pull the two bottom plates individually with hydraulics.
- Unbolt and remove lift assembly and sides from the planting pit.
- Backfill planting pit with approved soil mix and water to fill voids and eliminate air pockets.
- Smooth, fill and grade to finish elevation.
- These steps are for transporting large tree on highway, if tree is moved to another location, on site, steps 9 – 14 would change depending on distance to be moved.
- If tree is to be stored, steps 9 – 14 would change and the metal sides would be replaced with a Temporary Storage Box constructed of root pruning fabric with a wooden frame connected to the ship plates. At replanting time fabric and wood frame would be removed and metal sides with lift assembly will be re-attached for lifting and transporting.
At Urban Forestry Works, we have the privilege of enhancing landscapes nationwide. From saving large historic oaks, to providing new mature landscape for upscale developments, golf courses, and municipalities, our family continues to take pride in our mission of honoring every tree’s story.
UFW transplanted 24″ caliper live oaks using our 10×10 LTTS from Florida to Alpharetta, GA for an urban development called Avalon. These trees were installed in and around restaurants, businesses and condominiums to create shade and bring size and character to a...
UFW installed 13, 12-15” caliper live oaks in Historic Downtown Winter Garden. A new parking garage was being built to accommodate the city’s vibrant culture and atmosphere. It was important to the city to preserve and maintain their acclaimed tree canopy. The city of...
A Private Residential Estate needed 13 live oaks installed around the house to frame in landscape and provide scale to such a large home. UFW worked directly for the builder and with the landscape architect to create a mature landscape with unique character. ...